Submitted by Carol Sprenger.
Makes 26 cookies.
- 1 ¾ C all-purpose flour
- 1 TBLSP natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 8 TBLSP unsalted butter, softened
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 TBSLP red food coloring
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ C sour cream
- 1/2 C mini white chocolate chips
- 1/2 C mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz white chocolate bar (like Ghiradelli)
- 1/8 – 1/4 tsp Vegetable shortening (Crisco)
- 4 oz dark chocolate
- Adjust oven racks to upper-middle and lower-middle positions and heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Using stand mixer fitted with paddle, beat butter and granulated sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add egg, food coloring, and vanilla and beat until combined, about 30 seconds. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour mixture, followed by sour cream, then remaining flour mixture until combined. Add chocolate chips and mix just enough to blend in.
- Drop 2-tablespoon mounds of dough onto prepared sheets, spacing them about 2 inches apart.
- Bake cookies until centers are set, 16 to 18 minutes, switching and rotating sheets halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to wire rack. Let cookies cool completely.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, melt the white chocolate and vegetable shortening in 15 second increments, stirring after each time until perfectly smooth. Pour into a small ziplock bag or a piping bag. If using Ziplock bag, “squish” the chocolate into a corner, and snip the corner of the bag off. Drizzle chocolate over top in a decorative pattern. Repeat for the dark chocolate Allow the chocolate to set.
Store cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
If you can’t find mini white chocolate chips, use regular size and give them a rough chop.
For the drizzle, the Crisco thins out the white chocolate enough to drizzle. Adjust the amount as needed. No Crisco is needed for the dark chocolate.