Submitted by Jamie Fryslie.
Makes 4 dozen cookies.
- 1/2 c. butter-flavored shortening
- 1/2 c. real butter
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- optional: 1 tsp peppermint extract
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 c. flour, lightly spooned into measuring cups and leveled with a knife
- 1/4 c. + 2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 12 ounce bag dark chocolate chips
- 48 Hershey’s Candy Cane Kisses, unwrapped (one 10 ounce bag)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Cream together softened butter, shortening, brown sugar, and white sugar for 1-2 minutes on medium-high speed or until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until combined. In a separate bowl, combine the baking powder, baking soda, salt, flour, and cocoa powder. Add to the butter/sugar mixture and mix until combined. Mix in the chocolate chips.
- To prevent cookies from flattening out, refrigerate dough for 30-60 minutes. Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto an ungreased baking sheet. Bake until just set, but centers are still soft, about 8 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to cool for 1-2 minutes. Use a metal spatula to transfer cookies to cooling rack. Top each cookie with an unwrapped Candy Cane Kiss. Allow to cool completely, long enough for the Kiss to harden. If necessary, after the cookies have cooled, they can be placed in the refrigerator or freezer to re-solidify the Kiss.