Mushrooms are perfect little culinary sponges that can be manipulated to soak up amazing flavors. When cooked with lots of butter, shrooms first release all their own moisture and then soak it back up along with the melted butter. This magical process creates incredibly delicious savory morsels that work perfectly with gnocchi. Squeeze lemon on top for an acidic finish and sprinkle with a little cheese for richness.
Tip- rinse your mushroom tops without flipping them over. The gills on the underside of the cap will hold onto the rinsing liquid, making the mushroom mushy and slimy.Print
- 4 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 oz mushrooms, rinsed, hard ends trimmed, and sliced
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp sage
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 16 oz package of gnocchi
- 2 oz fresh grated parmesan
- 1/2 of a fresh lemon
- Start a pot of boiling water for the gnocchi (don’t cook gnocchi yet).
- Add butter to medium fry pan at medium heat. Once melted, add garlic and stir for about 2 minutes, until fragrant. Add all mushroom and stir to coat. Let cook at medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms soften and turn brown, about 5-10 minutes.
- Add thyme and sage to mushrooms and stir until mushrooms are coated. Taste and add salt & pepper as needed.
- Add gnocchi to boiling water. Drain when gnocchi float to the top of the water. This will only take a few minutes. Once drained, add gnocchi to mushroom pan. Stir all together so gnocchi are also covered in herb butter blend.
- Divvy into bowls, squeeze lemon over each and top with 1/2 oz of cheese.