Submitted by Keli Books, from her late grandmother, Marlene Rae VanMaanen.
Makes 24 cookies.
- 24 Maraschino cherries
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp white vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1-2 tbsp heavy cream
- Drain 24 maraschino cherries, save the juice.
- Lay cherries to dry (or cookies will turn pink).
- Mix ½ cup soft butter (salted), ¾ cup sifted powdered sugar, and 1 tbsp white vanilla.
- Add with hands: 1 1/2 cup flour and 1-2 TBSP heavy cream if needed.
- Wrap dough around cherry and roll into a ball. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.
- 1 c sifted powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp cream
- 1 tsp white vanilla
- Cherry juice to color
- Mix all ingredients together.
- Frost after cookies have cooled.