Submitted by Laurie Carruthers.
Makes 30 cookies.
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2/3 cup toasted & finely chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup finely chopped Craisins
- Place butter, powdered sugar, almond extract and salt in a bowl. Beat until smooth, about 3 minutes. Turn mixer speed to low and gradually add flour and orange zest. Mix until a dough forms. Stir in pecans and Craisins with a spatula.
- Pat dough into a ball and then form into a log shape about 2 inches in diameter. Wrap the log in wax paper and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Remove the dough from the freezer and cut into 1/4 inches round cookie slices. Place on cookie sheet at least 1 inch apart. Bake for approximately 15 minutes until the edges just start to turn golden. Check after 10 minutes. Let the cookies cool for a couple of minutes before removing from cookie sheet.
Dough can be kept frozen for up to 3 months. If frozen solid, let the dough thaw for about 20 minutes before slicing.