Whether you’re tuning into a new game or re-watching a favorite, these football-shaped cakes are sure to get the whole family in the game day spirit. Creamy marshmallow cream paired with mini chocolate cake-cookies are match made in heaven.Print
These football-shaped whoopie pies are the perfect treat for game day!
For the Cakes:
- ½ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla
- 2 cups All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 ¼ teaspoons Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 cup Milk, room temperature
For the Filling:
- ¾ cup Unsalted Butter, softened
- 1 jar Marshmallow Fluff, 7 oz
- 4 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2–3 tablespoons Cream
To make the cakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350F. Prepare 3 baking sheets with parchment or a silpat liner.
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar and pale and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture alternately with the milk, in 2 additions each. Mix on low for 1 minute to make sure everything is combined.
- Scoop batter into a large piping bag fit with a small to medium piping tip. Pipe batter into oblong football shapes, about 2 inches long, leaving about 1 inch of space between each.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until the cakes spring back when touched. Let cool completely.
To make the frosting:
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and marshmallow fluff until well combined and smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar, add cream as needed if the frosting becomes too stiff.
- Pipe or spread frosting on the back sides of half of the cakes, reserving about ½ cup of the frosting for the stitching decoration. Top each with another cake. Pipe football stitching on tops and serve!