These sky-high golden scones are the perfect addition to any brunch or tea time. Inspired by the scones at the posh Savoy Hotel in London, these pair perfectly with butter, jam, or honey. Serve these alongside a slice of quiche and a yogurt parfait to round out a perfect Mother’s Day Brunch.Print
Mom deserves a great breakfast.
- 2 cups + 1 tablespoon All-Purpose Flour
- 3 3/4 teaspoons Baking Powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold Butter, cubed
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup Buttermilk
- Egg wash (1 egg + 1 tablespoon milk)
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fit with the paddle attachment, combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Add butter and mix on low until the mixture appears sandy.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg and buttermilk. Add to the flour mixture and mix on medium-low speed for 1-2 minutes, until a cohesive dough forms.
- Form into a smooth ball and lightly cover with plastic wrap, let rest at room temperature for 20 minutes. Preheat the oven to 400F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll into a circle about 1-inch thick and cut out 4 scones with a round cookie cutter. Re-roll the scraps to get 2 more scones. Place on a lined cookie sheet and brush the tops with egg wash. Bake 15-20 minutes until tops are golden brown.